Within the framework of the activities of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), a delegation from the National Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (NTRA) participates in the ITU Council which took place at ITU Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland, in the period from25 May to 2 June 2016. This year several important issues were discussed and achievements during the council, which were as follows:
- International Telecom Regulations (ITRs), where it was agreed to form an experts group to study the disciplines mentioned in ITRs resolution. This group will submit a preliminary report during the upcoming ITU Council meeting 2017 and the Council session's final report in 2018 for study. This report will be eventually submitted to the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference 2018 (PP-18).
- International numbering resources, where it was agreed that the ITU Secretariat will examine all revenue, including international numbering resources revenues and study all the implications of international numbering resources raised by Councilmembers of the Council during the closing session.
- ITU's Role as a Supervisory Authority of the future international registration system for Space Assets under the draft Space Protocol where it was agreed to submit a report on all studies on the subject and the problems that will face the Union during the Council's upcoming annual session (Council 2017) until a final decision is issued in this concern in Council 208).
- ITU headquarters, where a final decision was issued to replace the Varembé building and renovate the Tower building and repair Montbrillant building.
- In addition Egypt announced its intention to host the next World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-19) as per the kind invitation of HE Eng. Yasser El-Kady, Minister of Communications and Information Technology during GSR-2016. In fact this announcement was welcomed by all participants and it was agreed on the following:
- Holding consultation with ITU-R till a written request is submitted to Radiocommunication Bureau (BR) one month before the date of the Council's annual session 2017;
- This will be announced officially during the Council's annual session in 2017;
- In case the request is approved a survey of all Member States' opinion will be conducted;
- In case an official approval is obtained, it will be officially announced that Egypt will host the World Radiocommunication Conference (WRC-19) and a hosting agreement will be signed during the Council's session in 2018. (N.B. attached is the preparatory process for Egypt's hosting of WRC-18).