Telecom/ IT Equipment Type Approval Regulations & Procedures in Egypt
What equipment require NTRA Type Approval?
All Telecommunication equipment used in Egypt including:
1. All types of Telephone Sets
2. Fax machines (Voice Connection Unit)
3. Card/Pay Phone set
4. LPU (Line Protection Unit)
5. All types of Public/Private exchange
6. GSM mobile station & Handsets.
Radio communication apparatus:
1. Radio Trans/Receive equipment
2. Satellite Communication equipment
3. Cordless Telephone Set
All Indoor/Outdoor, Wired/Wireless IT communication apparatus.
Who is Type Approval applied on?
The telecommunications regulatory arrangements apply to any person, business or company that is the initial point of supply of customer telecom equipment to the Egyptian market.
• Any local manufacturer who makes or assembles telecommunications products or its authorized agent; or
• Any overseas principal (Manufacturer, Representative, Agent, Type approving agency,…etc.); or
• Any locally registered agency acting on behalf of any overseas principal.
What standards are applied in Egypt?
Egypt is in the preparation phase prior launching a local Telecom
equipment specification & till then NTRA shall apply the following standards.
Telecom / Radio
ETSI, ASA, FCC, ITU
EMC / EMI
CENELEC, IEC, ASA
Safety / Health
CENELEC, IEC, ASA, UL, FCC
Type Approval Application Package
1- Fill the application form on www.tra.gov.eg .
2- Importing/Manufacturing license issued by NTRA (For local Manufacturers or local importing companies or local agency acting on behalf of any overseas principal).
3- Detailed original catalogue explaining system description (Should provide a basic understanding of the system, its operation philosophy and system technology), technical data and specifications of the equipment.
4- Declaration of conformity from the manufacturing company or Test reports from an accredited test lab for the equipment standards regarding Telecom/Radio, EMC, EMI & Safety & Health standards of the equipment.
5- Certificate of origin from the manufacturer / principle.
6- Type approval processing fees as per the mentioned below table.
Payment is by either a payable certified check for the sake of NTRA Executive President or by wire transfer to our bank and then fax to NTRA the bank proof of payment as soon as payment is done.
7- For terminal equipment (as fixed Telephone sets, Mobile sets, Cordless Telephone sets…..., etc.) two samples are required for testing.