The frequency spectrum is a limited resource. The legislator empowers NTRA to use frequency spectrum pursuant the provisions of telecom Law no. 10 for the year 2003. Moreover, the usage of frequency spectrum and wireless equipment shall be permitted according to a license issued by NTRA. Any usage of frequency spectrum and wireless equipment without obtaining a license from NTRA has been incriminated according to chapter 7 of telecom Law no. 10 for the year 2003.
The Law empowers the board of directors of NTRA to lay down the rules and conditions governing the issuance of licenses so that a decree shall be issued by the competent minister.
Thereupon, his Excellency the minister of telecommunications and information technology issued the ministerial decree no. 258 for the year 2003 concerning the conditions and status of the issuance of frequency spectrum and wireless equipment licenses.
To achieve the optimum benefit sought, the Law authorized NTRA to monitor the usage of frequency spectrum to ensure the abidance of the licensees by the conditions of the issued licenses and the revelation of any illegal usage of frequency spectrum.
Spectrum Management Sector
• NTRA shall put a frequency spectrum usage plan prepared by the frequency spectrum management sector pursuant to the provisions of the new Law of telecommunications and recommendations of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU), taking into consideration the prerequisites of national security. The ultimate goal is the achievement of optimum revenues and increase investments according to the regulations of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU).
• The policies regulating the usage of the frequency spectrum shall be laid down according to market requirements.
• NTRA evacuates the frequency bands required for new services planned to enter the Egyptian market.
• The usage of the frequency spectrum shall be monitored to detect any unlicensed usage thereof in addition to abidance by the conditions of licenses.
• NTRA coordinates with other countries for the usage of the frequency spectrum and avoidance of any interference.
• The data concerning the usage of the frequency spectrum shall be kept in a database. The secrecy and privacy of all data should be ensured to protect the rights of users.